Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Evacuation

OK guys, I'm going to get out.

Last night's rumours turned out to be largely untrue (especially the one I heard again and again about the Russians being five miles from Tbilisi)

Everyone here's in a state of shock and panic, no one knows what's really going on and poor lines of communication really don't help this.

Whilst I think it's still fairly safe in Tbilisi (as far as I know, no bombs fell last night for example) I can't really see the point in me staying anymore. War tourism is not cool and the work situation is not looking good.

Just had a very depressing chat with my boss. The organisation is pretty much doomed by the looks of things.

The Ruskies are pushing for regime change to get an ex-KGB stooge in (a number of names are circulating) With a pro-Russian government in, (pro-western) NGO activity will collapse, especially with our background in IDPs.

We can only hope "regime change" happens quickly and bloodlessly.

This whole thing stinks, I don't know how it happened but I really doubt it was just Misha making a bad move.

Time to go.

Good Night and Good Luck

1 comment:

Raymond K said...

Wow. I can only Imagine the situation for your NGO. I hope the Russians really are pulling back from Georgia, as stated by BBC here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7555858.stm - what do you think?

I think they might turn to other tactics, other ways to enforce their regime change in Georgia.

If that happens - - :(

Thanks for all your posts here, Ian! It really meant a lot to me.